Friday, February 1, 2008

Moving on up

Yours truly has just tested and been promoted to YELLOW BELT in mixed martial arts! Far from being able to take on twelve rogue ninjas in a dark alley, but I am one step closer to my ultimate goal--black belt!

I had to break another board during testing, my third. This one had to be broken with a front snap kick. I thought my foot would fall of, it was NOT easy! I'd broken the other two with ease (not necessarily because of my super human strength), and couldn't understand why my snap kick didn't carry as much "punch" as my fist. Then, of course, I was told that these were new boards, heat treated to make them hard. Niiiiiiiice. It's okay, I'm sure the feeling will come back in my toes soon........

The promotion ceremony was last night, and I can't tell you the sense of accomplishment I felt when my master instructor tied my new belt around my waist, telling me that I have met all requirements and am now promoted to the next level in my training. Me, with stage 4 cancer, doing something I never thought I could do even when I was healthy. Wow. :)

I love the way martial arts makes me feel, the strength I feel, not only physically, but mentally. The spirituality that goes hand in hand with the meditation breathing exercises we often do. The camaraderie I feel with the other students, as they cheer me on when I learn a new technique, or break a board that I swear was made with petrified wood. And, of course, the immense release that comes with donning full sparring gear and beating the crap out of each other. No other feeling like it! :)

I can't wait until Monday when I get to tie my yellow belt around my waist for class. This is something that I did--a reflection of my hard work--and I can't wait to test for the next level!! HI-YA!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Strength,spirit, determination, desire & skill..........you go girl!!
Congratulations!! So proud of you!

KDC Events said...

Congrats! You seem to conquer everything you take on! Way to go DIVA!