Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The importance of a Self Examination

As we kick off another beautiful year, I thought it appropriate that we start by recognizing the importance of friends, family, faith, and health.

I really won't harp on the significance of the first three. I would venture to guess that each of you, in your own way, hold those three things close to your heart. After all, they comprise the majority of our time, laughter, heartache, fun, conflict, and joy. Friends, family, and faith. Enough said.

But the one thing that I have noticed not many women recognize the importance of pertains to the foruth aspect--health--which is a monthly self breast examination. We hear quite often, and are bombarded with each October, that no woman over the age of 35 should miss her bi-annual mammograms, and no woman over forty should neglect her mammogram yearly. Well I say, absolutely!! How many lives, after all, have been saved by those wonderous screening methods?? Countless.

But what about those younger women, who aren't eligible for a mammogram? And what about those women who develop tumors IN BETWEEN mammograms? In these instances, bi-annual and annual screenings fall frighteningly short.

Each and every woman, beginning at the age of 18, should conduct a self breast examination every month, preferably at the same time each month to ensure she is at the same monthly cycle stage. Get to know what you feel like, what is normal for you! Young women often have dense, lumpy breast tissue, and although your OBGYN may clinically examine you once per year, she does not know what YOU feel like, what is normal for YOU, what dense pocket of tissue has always been there, and what popped up unexpectedly. This is your responsibility.

A breast tumor can develop and grow in a matter of weeks. Waiting months for your next mammogram will give this tumor the opportunity to grow even more, often spreading to other areas of your body and severely worsening your life expectancy/prognosis. But when caught EARLY (very early), the cure rate is phenomenal.

So remember, ladies, to not rely solely on our medical professionals. While they are irreplaceable, you still need to play the part of your own physician each month, and check yourself. I'm not a big believer in resolutions, but a commitment--that's something we can all do. Remind the women you love to do the same. It could save a life.

I wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2008!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for posting on the importance of breast self examination. I have always been reminding my wife to conduct her checks regularly with the Breast Self Examination Pad that we have. All she has to do is to invest in about 20 minutes per day and could save the love of my life.

designsbygeeta said...

Thanks, Eugene, for the comment. It is so true. If your wife ever needs a reminder, send her my way!! I am fighting breast cancer as we speak. Continue to be diligent, okay?

Anonymous said...

I sure will. In actual fact, I just send some emails out today to my sister in laws telling them about breast self examination. Meanwhile, if you know of anyone who wants to know about the Breast Self Examination Pad my wife and I are marketing, do ask them to get in touch with me.

designsbygeeta said...

I absolutely will, Eugene. Great product, and awesome site you have!
Hugs,
Geeta