Monday, January 7, 2008

Tuesday Featured Artist--Scentsations by PMH!

Ever walked into someone's house and wondered what that decadent scent was? Is it a pie in the oven? A bowl of fresh fruit on the table? Or a Scentsational candle from Scentsations by PMH? Scentsations has the best selection of food-themed candles and soaps--I'd be hard pressed to not try to eat them! They are realistic and adorable. I swear I can smell them through my computer screen! And the prices are so affordable!

I have to say, my favorite item is Parched, a beverage candle available in Cherry Lemonade and Cola scents. Tell me you don't just want to pick this up and drink it!


I had the pleasure of getting to know Patrice, the owner of Scentsations by PMH. You can too! Just read on! But FIRST--visit www.scentsationsbypmh.net. Buy some little yummies for yourself!

Give me an overview of your business and its products.
scentsations by pmh was created on a dare from my late husband Spencer. He challenged me to start selling my creations because I was giving too much away for free especially when they were coming back for more. I started making M&P soaps as gifts for my co-workers and one day they started asking me for more. I was on a website buying soap supplies when I saw all this candle stuff. I was fascinated. I bought one of those "starter" kits and made my first fruit bowl candles and my co-workers were blown away by the realness of them. From the texture of orange bowl to the scent themselves. Out of that, scentsations was born. Right now about 95% of scentsations by pmh is the sell of candles all food shaped and scented, but I am starting a new venture, The Soap Seduction, which is the sister site fo scentsations. The Soap Seduction will be exclusively about soap-all shapes, sizes, and scents and all food-related, of course.

What makes your business unique when compared to others in its category?
The uniqueness of my businesses are all the scents and products are food-related, and I create show pieces. There are hundreds of candle and soap sites on the web today, and how I separate myself from the rest of the pack is to focus on a single theme and a single product. In this case, with scentsations, the theme is food and the product is aromatics, whether a candle or scent-inducing product, and with The Soap Seduction, the theme is also food, and the product is soap. Also, all of my products are hand crafted. No two products will look the same, so you truly will get a one-of-a-kind piece. I make everything myself from silicone or urethene molds. That's it. I want to be the best of the best, and by honing my skills on one theme, I can deliver the best. Why did I choose food instead of flower or nature scents for example? It's very simple. I love food, and the scents and fragrances available on the market today are so lifelike, that I can't wait to make a candle or soap out of it!

Where do you draw inspiration from for your creations?
My inspiration is definitely my (late) husband Spencer. He was such a motivator and a believer in my talent, that he made me do this even when I didn't want to. He encouraged me and challenged me to think beyond the box. He was my walking advertisement and my biggest cheerleader, and I continue today because of him. His vision was for us to be business owners, and I carry the torch in his memory.

What has been your proudest moment as a business owner?
My proudest moment was probably my first sale to a non-friend or family member. Of course all your friends and family will support you no matter what, but when a complete stranger revels in your product and expresses how delightful your creation is, it's the ultimate high as a business owner. It makes all the blood, sweat, and tears worth it.

What product has been your best selling item?
I currently have three best-selling items: anything (candle, smelly jelly, funk buster) in Monkey Farts; apple tarts; and Cherry Lemonade beverage candle.
http://www.scentsationsbypmh.net/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=37; http://www.scentsationsbypmh.net/index.php?cPath=32; http://www.scentsationsbypmh.net/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46

How are you able to balance your work and family life, while still being able to nurture and grow your business?
It's all about prioritizing! Family always comes first no matter what, but it really helps when your family is understanding and supportive of your efforts. My businesses currently aren't my 9 to 5, although that is my goal. I do have a "regular" job which I often work 8-10 hours a day, so life can get pretty hectic, so that's where prioritizing and organizing comes in.

If you could offer one piece of advice to other women business owners, what would that be?
I have several actually:

1. Have a plan: Don't just say I want to make and sell candles and think it's easy. You really need to prepare accordingly. Get your business affairs in order first by securing and registering your business name, applying for Tax Id, etc. Determine who your market is and how your product will appeal to them.

2. Study the competition: See what everyone is doing. What can you learn from them that you can incorporate into your plan or vice versa-what don't you want to include in your plan.

3. Be original: Businesses come a dime a dozen, and you will see that everyone is doing the same thing and offering the same product. It's okay to do that too, but put your own unique spin or twist on it to make yours pop. Whether it's the packaging of your product to the graphics you choose for your website. It's all about originality.

4. Be prepared to put in some long hours and shell out some money. Being successful doesn't happen overnight, and it aint cheap!

5. Lastly, surround yourself with people who are successful and who want to see you succeed. Whether joining a network of other successful businesswomen or having a network of support friends and family, you will need that encouragement and support to forge ahead when you're ready to throw in the towel.

Thank you, Patrice!!!





No comments: