Thursday, January 10, 2008

They Grow Up So Fast

I finally decided to clean up my obnoxiously large amount of files on my computer and found a little poem I wrote for my son. He had just recently and proudly worn his bright yellow mortar board in his pre-k graduation ceremony and "shunned" me for the first time--he chose to ride with his friends on the daycare bus on a fieldtrip to the zoo (which I was chaperoning) over riding with me. Yes, a tear was shed. My baby was growing up.
He's almost 8 now (good Lord, that's strange to say), but I still remember that day vividly. And I thought I'd share the poem that poured straight from my heart as I realized I wasn't always going to be the only one in his life that mattered.

For Brandon
It seems like only yesterday
I held you in my arms.
I promised all the world to you,
To shelter you from harm.

And now I gaze upon my child,
Sweet mischief in his eye;
And recognize, with heavy heart,
How time is passing by.

For wasn’t it just yesterday
I swaddled baby sweet?
And cuddled, kissed, and cradled you,
And tickled tiny feet?

But as I watch you board the bus,
Excited waves good-bye,
I think aloud, oh yes, indeed,
Sweet time is passing by.

You love me quite wide openly,
Hand kisses out for free.
Alas, I know there’ll come a time
When all this, too, will cease.
I’ll take the sticky jelly hugs
And secretly ask why
Why my heart aches terribly
While watching time pass by?

My son, I vow to love you fierce,
And with unfaltering might.
And when the bad dreams break your sleep,
I’ll always hold you tight.
I’ll treasure every waking breath,
Though years too rapid slide,
And know someday that you as well,
Will see time passing by.

--Love, Mommy
July 12, 2005

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Geeta,
How sweet & how true....my boys are 22 & 17, but I still get hugs & kisses everyday! I guess if you love them openly, fiercely, & shamelessly, you will get that love in return. They will always be your babies!
Thanks for sharing
Tammy

designsbygeeta said...

Thank you for your sweet comments, Tammy! I can't imagine my children 22 and 17, but I know it will be here before I know it!!

Beth Anderson said...

That is just beautiful Geeta. My son just turned 18 and I love him to fiercely that it hurts.

designsbygeeta said...

Oh, Beth, that is so sweet! I know one day I'll be there, too. I saw the picture of your "baby" when he turned 18--hard to imagine mine will ever be that big!!

heather said...

oh what a sweet poem!! my son turned 9 in november and this poem made me cry!!! i still tell him i love him as he walks out the door and on the phone and most times he doesn't even care what his friends might say, he says it right back ;)

designsbygeeta said...

Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry I made you cry! But how awesome that your son says he loves you in front of all his friends--I hope mine always does that!!

Hugs,
Geeta